Ah, the menstrual cycle – a time when cravings for comfort foods can often get the best of us. Who’s guilty? However, paying attention to your nutrition during this time is vital to support your body and ease period-related symptoms. In this blog, we'll explore three healthy options to eat on your period and why you need these foods in your life.
- Leafy Greens:
Why You Need Them: Leafy greens like spinach, kale, and Swiss chard are powerhouses of nutrients, including iron and calcium, which can help replenish the nutrients you lose during your period. They are also rich in magnesium, known to alleviate muscle cramps and reduce bloating.
- Fatty Fish:
Why You Need Them: Fatty fish such as salmon, mackerel, and sardines are high in omega-3 fatty acids. These healthy fats can help reduce inflammation and alleviate mood swings or irritability that may accompany your period. Omega-3s are also beneficial for managing bloating and cramps.
Why You Need Them: Berries like blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries are packed with antioxidants, vitamins, and fibre. They can help combat period-related cravings for sugary treats while also providing a sweet and healthy option. The fibre supports healthy digestion and may ease any gastrointestinal discomfort.
It all sounds awfully healthy right? BUT there are beneficial reasons why these food groups should be a part of your life to help you with your period and period symptoms.
- Hormonal Balance: Opting for nutritious foods during your period can help maintain hormonal balance, reducing your irritability.
- Minimised Cramps: Nutrient-rich choices can alleviate muscle cramps and reduce bloating, making your period more comfortable.
- Emotional Well-Being: A balanced diet can improve your emotional well-being by preventing energy crashes and reducing irritability.
- Long-Term Health: Incorporating healthy foods during your period sets the stage for good eating habits throughout your menstrual cycle and beyond.
- Reduced Cravings: Choosing nutrient-dense options can help curb cravings for less healthy, sugary, or processed foods that can lead to energy fluctuations.
Eating healthily during your period is not just a smart choice; it's a way to support your body and alleviate the discomfort and intense feelings that often accompany this time. By incorporating leafy greens, fatty fish, and berries into your diet, you'll nourish your body and reduce the impact of hormonal fluctuations. Remember, your period is a natural part of life, and your diet can help make it a smoother ride, however if you also indulge in a bowl of Mac and Cheese and eat a family sized block of chocolate during your flow, we don’t blame you!