THINGS TO CONSIDER BEFORE BUYING A CUP
Please keep in mind that the body changes whilst menstruating: the cervix can move and at times you might need two sizes of menstrual cups to work with your active cervix! (that's why we have a multipack included in our store).
Before your period your uterus relaxes and drops you cervix down lower into your vagina, the entrance to the cervix (os) opens and the blood flows into the vagina. (This may also vary from person to person).
Because of this you may find that your cervix is lower on days 1-3 of your period, requiring a smaller cup. Then on days 3+ you may need a larger cup as your uterus tightens again, lifting your cervix up and slowly back into its normal position.
Take in consideration the following possibilities as well, you may need to call us on our helpline to ensure you are getting the right size cup to cater for any of the following conditions:
- Prolapse (firmer cup),
- Very Low Cervix (can feel it just inside the entrance to the vagina)
- Very High Cervix (cannot find it)
- Sensitivity (softer cup)
- Endometriosis (heavy periods and a softer cup)
- PCOS (heavy periods/irregular periods)
CUP HEIGHT: CERVIX HEIGHT
(remember cup width also needs to be considered - below)
The most important factor in choosing the right cup is knowing your cervix height. HERE is a detailed page on cervix height.
If you want to be absolutely sure about your cup size you need to check the height of your cervix every morning during your entire period. Then you can work out which cup would be best in terms of height. But you still need to be sure about the cup width (see below as tampons give a good idea of which cup width you should use).
- My Cup Size 0 (cup part only) height: 44.5 mm
- My Cup Size 1 (cup part only) height: 44.5 mm
- My Cup Size 2 (cup part only) height: 51 mm
CUP WIDTH: TAMPON SIZE
(remember cup height also needs to be considered - above)
The general rules of thumb as follows:
- Petite tampons only →
- Petite and Small tampons only →
- Small and Regular Tampons →
- Regular Tampons only →
- Regular and Super Tampons →
- Super Tampons only →
- My Cup Size 0
- My Cup Size 0
- My Cup Size 0 and/or My Cup Size 1
- My Cup Size 1
- My Cup Size 1 and/or My Cup Size 2
- My Cup Size 2
Practical cleaning tips and products to help you keep you cup clean!
Want to learn more about menstrual cups before you buy?
Find out more about our social enterprise.